RIM will be launching its all new re-engineered and re-designed platform tomorrow and along with the new operating system, the Canadian technology major will also launch its flagship BlackBerry 10 device, the BlackBerry Z10.
A lot has been spoken about the devices that will be launched on January 30th. According to several sources, RIM will be launching two new devices, the full touch-screen BlackBerry Z10 and another one will be called as BlackBerry X10 and it will have the signature BlackBerry QWERTY hardware keyboard. We have seen leaked images of both the devices, but it’s confirmed that Z10 will be launched.
With just one day away from launch, the BlackBerry Z10 has appeared again in front of shutter, and these new leaked pictures give us a better view of the device. In the photos, we can see the upcoming BlackBerry Z10 in white. RIM has apparently decided not to go with an all-white design for the Z10, and instead it will keep the screen glass black, just like what HTC has done with the white One X. The device definitely looks good and perhaps can be added to the list of best-looking smartphones out there. As far as the internal hardware goes, RIM’s choice of hardware is pretty decent, and a lot better than what is inside the current generation of BlackBerry devices. The device is expected to come with 4.2″ HD display, a fast dual-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a good amount of internal storage, coupled with a microSD card slot.
Below is the leaked spec sheet of BlackBerry Z10:
• Processor: Dual Core 1.5GHz TI OMAP 4470・ Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8960 (US and Canada)
• Radio: Quad Band HSPA+ / UMTS (850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz) ・Quad Band GSM / GPRS (850/900/1800MHz) ・Quad Band LTE: Bands 2,4,5,13,17 (700, 850,1700, 1900MHz)
• Display: 4.2″・1280×768・356PPI ・24 Bit Color ・15:9
• Camera: 8MP Auto Focus ・2MP Front Facing ・Flash ・1080p Video Recording
• Memory: 2GB RAM ・16GB Internal Storage ・Hot Swappable microSD Slot
• WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n ・2.4/5GHz
• GPS: Autonomous ・A-GPS
• Battery: 1800mAh Removable
• Sensors: Ambient Light Detector ・Accelerometer ・Magnetometer ・Gyroscope ・Face Detect for phone calls
• Connectivity: NFC ・microUSB ・microHDMI-Out ・Bluetooth 4.0 LE
It is believed that RIM will start shipping the devices as early as February 28th. There’s no confirmation on whether Research In Motion will launch the qwerty equipped BlackBerry X10 or not because it has a smaller screen when compared to the Z10, and since RIM hasn’t released the SDK for that screen size, the apps won’t be compatible with the X10 right out of the box. It is said that BlackBerry World will have over 70k apps at the time of launch, and not all will run on X10, which is not a good thing.
The flagship device looks great. Hopefully the device will retail for less than $199 on contract. What are your thoughts on BlackBerry Z10? Let us know!