Metro PCS’ variant of Samsung Galaxy S3 recently received an Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update through LiquidSmooth ROM, a lightweight and more responsive custom firmware. While the official 4.2 firmware is yet to come, this firmware will allow owners to experience the sweetness of this Jelly Bean version on top of cool custom features and hacks. If you continue reading below, there is a guide that we put together to guide you through a successful installation of Android 4.2.1 LiquidSmooth ROM into your device.
- Make sure your Samsung Galaxy S3 is a unit subsidized by Metro PCS or has a model number R530M before you continue with this tutorial. Head to Settings => About phone.
- It must, at least, have 80% battery left, or better yet fully-charge it to avoid any interruptions during the update process.
- Install necessary drivers in your computer so your device can easily be detected. If you already did, then ignore this.
- Make a backup of your EFS folder.
- Enable USB Debugging in your device.
- Your Galaxy S3 R530M should have been rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery was installed. Flashing custom ROMs into Android devices needs root access and for this tutorial, CWM Recovery is required.
Step 1: While your phone is still on, connect it to your computer using the original USB data cable. Download LiquidSmooth ROM and Google Apps to the root directory of your device’s internal memory. Do not extract any of these files because CWM Recovery will need them zipped. This step will also check whether all drivers were installed.
Step 2: After both packages were downloaded into your device, you can now disconnect it from your computer and turn it off.
Step 3: Boot your phone into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding VOLUME UP, POWER and HOME buttons together until Samsung logo appears on the screen. Volume keys are used to navigate through options and use Power button to choose.
Step 4: Once you’re inside the ClockworkMod Recovery, you need to made a Nandroid backup of your current ROM: choose Backup and Restore => Backup, then go back to main menu.
Step 5: Perform a full data wipe: Wipe Data/Factory Reset => Yes, and wait for a few moments ’til it’s done.
Step 6: You are now ready to flash LiquidSmooth ROM: choose option Install zip from SD card => Choose zip from SD card, and browse through your device’s internal memory to look for Liquid-JB-v2.1-Beta2-d2mtr.zip file. Confirm that you want to install it and wait for a few minutes.
Step 7: Repeat the previous step but this time around, look and choose gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file to flash Google Applications into your device. Once completed, go back to the main menu.
Step 8: To end this process, you need to reboot your device: choose Reboot System Now option. This time, the boot-up time would be longer than usual so you need to wait patiently for it.
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 R530M is now running LiquidSmooth on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. You can check for it by going to Settings => About phone.
[source: xda devs]
[easyazon-block align=”center” asin=”B009VMUOP4″ locale=”us”]
[easyazon-cta align=”center” asin=”B009VMUOP4″ height=”42″ key=”amazon-us-tall-orange” locale=”us” width=”120″]