,

Kim Dotcom announces new Megaupload launch date, promises better service than before

Megaupload founder, Kim Dotcom, revealed on Friday that his team has already been working for yet another file-sharing website that would mimic the services offered by his previous website and offer new ones. He, however, said that the new project will be named “Mega,” which would offer more services than just allowing users to upload or download files.

Mega’s launch was rumored to happen this year but Dotcom already confirmed it would be on January 19th in 2013, a year after the feds took down one of the biggest websites on the web. Many thought that government’s actions were the end of Megaupload, apparently, it was just the beginning of a bigger and better file-sharing system in the world.

Reports suggested that Megaupload was getting 50 million visitors per day at its peak. Such traffic is something Kim Dotcom couldn’t resist not to retain, hence, the launch of Mega. The first website had already built its reputation but the domain is still in question and is unavailable. So, Dotcom’s team has been looking for brandable domain names they can use for the new website. During the summer, the founder has reportedly registered a few domain names but it still remains a mystery what the website address of Mega would be.

“The new Mega will launch exactly 1 year after the raid,” Dotcom announced a couple of days ago.

A report from Torrent Freak suggested that “there’s a Doomsday launch button in place, a reference to the device U.S. authorities claimed could have been in place to self-destruct the old Megaupload in the event of a raid.”

Last month, Dotcom released a statement to the media saying that they are almost done with their coding works and that servers have already been ordered. Investors are reportedly lining up to join his new venture, which he described as “massive global network.”

Since he already had an experience how a business like Megaupload could crumble down by just one strike of the government’s hand, he promised that the new Mega would be more secure than the first old one. Uploaded files are said to be encrypted with AES algorithm. Each user who has uploaded a file would be given a unique decryption key providing them the absolute right and control over their files and who can have access to them in the future.

Millions of uploaded files on Megaupload will never be recovered by they respective owners so Mega will have to start from scratch. Kim Dotcom, however, is positive his new venture would become successful while waiting for the court’s verdict on what to do with his previous business.

[source]

 

2 Comments

Leave a Reply
  1. Trailers for a new action movie open with this voice-over by the hero:

    “Civilized people need to follow rules. These are mine: I don’t steal from people who cannot afford it. I don’t hurt people who don’t deserve it.”

    If Kim Dotcom has in fact broken laws, and that is a very BIG if, it looks to me like his alleged victims have not only given him permission to do so but asked him to do so.

    The trailer should be played at every hearing and every trial in this matter. http://www.parkermovie.com/ “Parker” is a Jason Stratham vehicle, scheduled for release in January 2013.

    ALSO: Mega-corrupt former US Senator Christopher Dodd who after 20 years in office was so disgraced he couldn’t raise money for a re-election campaign; “retired” in 2011. He is now head of the Motion Picture Association of America.

    Coincidence? I think not.

  2. Heres what I want to know. Will those who had had lifetime accounts get free access to their new site or not.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *