,

Judge dismisses Sony PSN hacking lawsuit

Last year, millions of Sony Play Station Network accounts were hacked, and users, obviously, got outraged at the company. Plaintiffs had sued the Japanese company in the California District Court for negligence, restitution, and unjust enrichment in its handling of a PlayStation Network data breach last year.

More than 75 million user account details were leaked from 10 servers in San Diego. Later, 25 million accounts from the Sony Online Entertainment were hacked. That was really bad. But the company did not notify its users of the security breach for days after the incident happened.

The leaked exposed comprised of customer names, e-mail addresses, billing addresses, passwords, phone numbers, genders, and birth dates. But the Japanese consumer electronics giant says that the credit card details of these customers were not leaked in the hack. While the company was trying to get the service back on track by improving the security on the servers, the aforementioned services were taken down for almost a month. So there was no online gaming or online entertainment for anyone for almost a month.

“On Friday, Judge Anthony Battaglia of the U.S. District Court in Southern California ruled that one of those class action suits is invalid, according to Courthouse News,” says CNET. The lawsuit was filed in June last year which said Sony “failed to follow basic industry-standard protocols to safeguard its customers’ personal and financial information, thereby creating foreseeable harm and injury to the Plaintiff class.”

According to Courthouse News Battaglia said:

None of the named plaintiffs subscribed to premium PSN services, and thus received the PSN services free of cost. Plaintiffs freely admit, plaintiffs’ personal information was stolen as a result of a criminal intrusion of Sony’s Network. Plaintiffs do not allege that Sony was in any way involved with the data breach.

The judge also said that “There is no such thing as perfect security,” not holding Sony completely responsible for the security breach and the compromise on users’ details leaked. After this, the company changed its Terms of Service and User Agreement in September 2011, according to which, users of these services will no longer be able to sue the company or participate in any such lawsuit.

Source: CNET