A new version of the Sense UI for the global version of the HTC One X seems to have been leaked over at the XDA forums. The ROM is believed to improve functionality and bring some tweaks to the table. The developers managed to catch hold of the official Sense 4.1 ROM and post it on the forum for the users to try out. This is the official ROM which is awaiting release, so users can’t really go wrong. Among other things, the new ROM supposedly gives the device a Quadrant Benchmark score of above 5,900, which is a major upgrade from Sense 4.0 which garnered a 5,100+ score. The ROM is based on HTC’s Android 4.0.4 update which began rolling out a few days ago. Bear in mind that this applies to the global version of the One X based on the NVIDIA Tegra 3 chip.
The HTC One X was subject to a lot of flak immediately after its release for poor battery life and a bunch of other factors including the Sense 4.0 UI. There were several complaints of the device being slower and laggy, which was true to a great extent. Shortly after the minor debacle, HTC dropped a bomb by mentioning that there won’t be any battery enhancing updates to the device. However, the company seems to have been hard at work to improve the UI, which in turn could improve the battery life as well.
According to the changelog made available, the new ROM is a substantial upgrade from Sense 4.0. Apart from the massive increase in the benchmark scores, the One X will now feature some new additions. The camera app seems to have been slightly updated with an onscreen button in the app to switch between the primary and the front facing camera. The 3D effects are reported to have been cut down marginally with the animation decreased so as to make things faster than usual. Check out the unofficial changelog below as mentioned by Geeksaber:
Sense 4.1 RUU has been leaked (version number 2.15.401.5) , and after some testing, we found the following fixes:
- 1. Live wallpaper lag has been fixed
- 2. There’s a dedicated button in the Camera app to switch between Front/Backward facing cameras. (earlier you’d have to go into the menu for that.)
- 3. A dedicated button to switch tabs in the browser. (You’d have to go into the menu for that, too)
- 4. Complete removal of all 3D-Effects in the launcher leading to a completely lag-free experience.
- 5. Probably the most important- Rebased on Android 4.0.4
- 6. Added ability to remap the recent apps button/ Long-press recent apps/ Long-press Home as Menu. (yes, it removes the Virtual menu bar) under Settings->Display, Gestures and Buttons
- 7. New, blazing fast kernel. We mean it. It scored a pretty impressive 59oo+ in Quadrant benchmark (compared to 5100+ on Sense 4)
- 8. Wifi-dropping/ Icon showing weak signal Fixes.
- 9. Better Battery life- 5 Hour+ Screen-on time as compared to a measly 3 Hour+ on Sense 4.
You can download the ROM over at XDA with the links provided below. But if you have already downloaded and tried out the new ROM, make sure to drop a line below.