Android 4.1 “Jelly Bean” has been out for weeks now, and it was about time that we got to know what is really changed in this version of Android. Android team recently launched the full details of the changes that users of “Nexus 7” can enjoy, as it is the only device (for now), that is running on the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
The developers of Android say the following about Android 4.1.
- “Everything in Jelly Bean feels fast, fluid, and smooth. Moving between home screens and switching between apps is effortless, like turning pages in a book.
- Jelly Bean features improved performance throughout the system, including faster orientation changes, faster responses when switching between recent apps, and smoother and more consistent rendering across the system through vsync and triple buffering.
- Jelly Bean has more reactive and uniform touch responses, and makes your device even more responsive by boosting your device’s CPU instantly when you touch the screen, and turns it down when you don’t need it to improve battery life. ”
List of Key Changes in Detail
- Gesture Mode for blind users that allows blind users to reliably navigate the UI using swipe gestures and touch, in combination with speech output.
- Accessibility focus feature allows users to move a cursor between controls in order to maintain a target for the next source or action. Double tap anywhere to launch items with this feature.
2: Android Beam
Android Beam is a feature that allows users to share their pictures and videos easily. It also enables users to enjoy a Simple Secure Pairing standard that pairs devices just by tapping them together. With it, you can easily pair your handset or tablet to Bluetooth devices such as speakers or headsets. However, other devices must also have SSP feature.
3: Camera and Gallery
- View gallery without having to leave the camera app by using swipe from the camera viewfinder.
- You can also undo delete with a single tap.
- A new animation gives you visual feedback when focusing on an object in camera.
4: Data Usage
- Dismiss a data usage warning, without having to change the data threshold, which is set for warning notifications.
- You can stop background data usage on certain Wifi SSIDs by designating them as hotspots of your mobile.
- Jelly Bean now automatically detects when one device is tethered to another’s Wifi Hotspot. This feature intelligently disables or enables background data usage on the SSID.
5: Face Unlock
Face unlock is now not just faster, but more accurate as well. The start up of this feature has been made smoother with a new animation. Moreover, you can increase the accuracy of face unlock by calibrating your face in different conditions as well as with different accessories such as glasses, hat, etc.
Internationalization, keyboard, messaging and talk, notifications, networking, news and weather, people, phone, settings, system, voice typing, widgets, and text-to-speech are some other areas where changes have been made and you can enjoy all of it on the Nexus 7 tablet or wait for another device to feature Jelly Bean.