The LG Nitro HD is one of the first launched 4G LTE smartphones running Google’s Android operating system that is manufactured by LG. The phone boasts very good specs, which includes a 4.5 inch touchscreen with multi touch support, 1 gig of RAM, 8 megapixel camera capable of 1080p video shooting and 1830 mAh battery. The show is run by a 1.5 ghz dual core scorpion processor. If you are a LG Nitro HD owner and sad that it is still running Android Gingerbread, fret not because AT&T customers owning LG Nitro HD will be getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update on their devices starting next Tuesday.
The good news doesn’t end there. Along with ICS update is coming the Optimus 3.0 interface. Optimus 3.0 is LG’s latest user interface. Few notable features include ability to unlock the phone by swiping at any location on the screen, permits additional display enhancements such as using any photo as an icon and shortcut image. A new “Download” category in the menu will help users organize files in a better way.
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich streamlines common actions and uses an all new typeface which will be increasing the readability on high resolution displays which are becoming a norm in today’s smartphone industry.
Some notable features that LG Nitro HD customers will be getting with this update are:
• New lock screen actions will let user launch a specific application without actually unlocking the lock screen.
• The redesigned Gallery App & Photo Editor will help users show, manage, and share photos and videos easier than before.
• An updated home screen folder and favorites tray lets you group various apps and shortcuts easily by simply dragging across the screen.
• Enhanced multitasking capabilities which lets you switch from one task to another easily. There will be list of all the recently used apps in the system bar. Tapping on any one of them will resume the application.
• Improved text input with an all new keyboard. The keyboard will allow you to input text faster with higher degree of accuracy, thanks to better error corrections and word suggestions.
• A new app that is dedicated to monitor your data usage easily.
• Face Unlock is one of the finest features that Google has added to Ice Cream Sandwich. It lets the user unlock screen using front cam with the help of facial recognition technology.
Below are the steps you need to follow in order to update your LG Nitro HD to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
1) Before connecting the device to the PC, ensure that the driver installed on your PC for your phone is up to date. You can check for driver updates over here.
2) Once the driver is successfully updated, it is time to restart your PC now.
3) Now, download LG Mobile Support Tool from here. This tool will help you update your device easily.
4) It’s time to connect the device to PC using the USB cable that came bundled with the device. You have to tap on “PC Software” option when the phone asks for USB Connection Mode. It is important that you don’t disconnect the phone until the update process is completed.
5) Launch the LG Mobile Support Tool on your PC and click on ‘Start Updating’ while the phone is hooked up with your computer. Device will progress through different stages including Analysis, Download, Update and Complete during the update process.
At around 5% of completion, the phone will switch off and enters the download mode. It is perfectly normal for the phone to switch off and is a part of the upgrade process, hence there is no need to panic and again, do not disconnect the USB cable. At 95% of completion, the phone will power back on. The whole process will take several minutes to complete.
6) When the upgrade is completed, the LG Mobile Support Tool will display “LG Mobile Phone Software Update completed”. Wait for the device to power on. Once it is back, the phone will re connect with LG Mobile Support Tool, and this time observe the version number that indicates the latest software. It is okay to disconnect the phone and if completed successfully, you will have your device running the Ice Cream Sandwich goodness.
In an unlikely event, if the upgrade stops, make sure you DON’T close down the update tool and follow the upgrade instructions again. If you do that, the device won’t be booting properly. If you have already closed the support tool, follow the instructions below:
1) Open LG Mobile Support Tool.
2) Select menu “Customer Support” –> “Recovery Phone”
3) Punch in the IMEI/ESN/MEID number and press “Check”. This number can be found in the battery compartment.
4) After checking all the data, the tool will restart the update.
HTC One X and HTC Inspire will be getting Ice Cream Sandwich in the weeks to come. The upgrades will enhance performance and in the case of the Inspire, add Task Manager, AT&T Address Book and HTC Sense 3.0. There are more ICS updates coming our way. Watch this space to stay updated.