It appears that the war in the smartphone market is taking a very unusual turn – device manufacturers are targeting low spenders who want very powerful devices. This explains why there are more very affordable yet somewhat powerful devices that attract consumers on a budget. The newest entrant is an Android smartphone that will sell for just below $185 but it has very impressive features.
The new smartphone from Acer called the Acer Liquid Gallant Duo is expected to come next month. The phone, which runs on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, features a 1GHz Dual Core Processor, has Dual SIM capability and a 5 Megapixel camera with a LED flash. Acer is not particularly the most preferred smartphone name today but with this new Android smartphone, it is hoping the consumers will give it a chance. Could this be Acer’s Diamond in the Ruff? We will find out in a month or so. Here are the core features of the Liquid Gallant Duo:
- MTK 6575 1GHz processor
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich platform
- HSPA, WCDMA (900/2100 MHz), Quad-band (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz) network
- Dual SIM capability
- 1GB RAM and 4GB inbuilt memory (expandable to 32GB with microSD
- 4.3 Inch qHD resolution touchscreen display
- Internal GPS Antenna
- Digital compass, Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor sensors
- Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR, 3.5 mm stereo audio jack and Standard micro-USB port
- 5 megapixel camera with LED flash Camera
- Li-ion battery 1500 mAh battery
Most high performance smartphones today seem to go for NVIDIA Tegra or Snapdragon processors, so we do not really know how Acer’s choice of MTK6575 will impact on performance or consumer perception. I would conclude that Acer chose the MTK6575 because they wanted to keep the price as low as possible. The good thing is that Android is a very versatile platform and any kind of processor will not have a problem running in the system.
The Liquid Gallant Duo will come in both black and white and may be available from August 8th. Pre-orders began yesterday, so if you want to try this affordable smartphone, you better visit their order page.