,

Apple Emergency Ban Request vs HTC Phones, Denied

Taiwanese manufacturer HTC can continue selling its Android smartphones in the US after Apple’s request for emergency ban due to patent infringement was denied by the US International Trade Commission (ITC) Monday, July 2nd, 2012. This gives HTC a go signal to bring its smartphones, including EVO 4G LTE and One X, into the US.

In May, HTC phones were detained at the border after Cupertino-based tech giant Apple claimed that  one of its patents were infringed by HTC devices, thus urging the company to seek exclusion order to stop the entry and sales of the said devices in the US.

According to the claim by the iPhone maker, HTC uses the system to detect telephone numbers in emails. When numbers on screen are tapped, they can be stored in contacts or be called even without dialing; Apple said this system is its patent.

“The commission finds that Apple has not demonstrated the propriety of temporary emergency action here,” ITC said. This is after HTC said in an official statement that all its devices were redesigned including its software. This, and Apple’s legal arguments that weren’t made in the original case triggered ITC to allow HTC smartphones to enter the US border.

HTC is Asia’s second largest phone maker. Last year, it has reached a market share of $312 billion and its newest flagship, HTC One X, is the key to reaching or surpassing the revenue it has gained in 2011. The latest development in its favor added 0.8 percent to NT$393.50 a couple of days ago in Taipei evident that One X and EVO 4G LTE have great impacts on the manufacturer’s market share.

HTC is just one of the companies Apple is having a faceoff with. This year, the company has been so aggressive in claiming that a few manufacturers including Samsung and HTC have infringed some of its patent. But it is apparently its way to prepare the way for its incoming iPhone 5.

[source: Business Week]