Really there doesn’t need to be a question mark in the headline but since they haven’t formerly announced any kind of social gaming platform we’ve put the question mark that commonly comes after rumors.
Google has posted a job listing for “Product Manager Games, Mountain View”. We all know that Mountain View is the home to the Google Plex and the Android Homecoming, and that the really important jobs start there. Google recently announced it was shutting down their Google Health and Power Meter products and since Larry Page took over they are supposed to be getting back to their core business. At this point in time it makes sense that a Google Games platform would expand upon that business.
At the beginning of the year Microsoft Kinect developer Johnny Lee Chung left Microsoft for a non-descript “Rapid Evaluator”position at Google. It looks like Chung may have been brought on at Google to help with this upcoming Google Games product.
I’m sure an official announcement will come at some point but Google Games makes perfect sense with the way Google is currently evolving. If you think you have what it takes, the official posting is after the break.
Product Manager, Games – Mountain View
This position is based in Mountain View, CA.
The area: Product Management
One of the many reasons Google consistently brings innovative, world-changing products to market is because of the collaborative work we do in Product Management. With eyes focused squarely on the future, our team works closely with creative and prolific engineers to help design and develop technologies that improve access to the world’s information. We’re responsible for guiding products throughout the execution cycle, focusing specifically on analyzing, positioning, packaging, promoting and tailoring our solutions to all the markets where Google does business.
The role: Product Manager, Games
Rare opportunity to grow a brand-new business – Games at Google! We are looking for a strategic, technical and game-loving Product Manager to drive Google’s gaming strategy. You will design strategies for game distribution and discovery, player identity, game mechanics, and more. In addition to designing a great user experience and building out key partnerships, you will be significantly influencing Google’s social platform as you work directly with a critical set of early adopters, game developers. Interesting and impactful decisions involving social gaming, privacy, virality, business, and technical APIs await you and the strong, passionate team of gamers you will work with.
- Drive feature requirements for Google’’s gaming platform
- Work with business development and developer relations to drive gaming partnerships/ content deals
- Initiate and prioritize projects within engineering, assist in determining the best technical implementation methods, track product development, and develop product launch plans.
- Establish partnerships internally and externally to drive the growth of games
- Technical undergraduate degree or equivalent experience; Masters degree preferred.
- Product management experience with a track record of creating innovative and winning Internet or software solutions.
- Entrepreneurial experience and a penchant for creating great products is highly valued.
- Demonstrated ability to gather user requirements and convert them into a winning product vision.
- Strong quantitative and analytical abilities with a deep understanding of gaming platforms.