By Russell H. Sr. Editor TDG Online
At last, 2.2 is starting to drop on devices. Verizon is trying to get it out to Droid users and Sprint is finally getting the EVO on board. The Droid 2 might be among us in next few weeks, and unless you are running the Latest cooked rom from the Froyo kitchen, the Nexus One is your only other shot. So, for that slowly growing group of 2.2 users, welcome! It’s faster, smarter, and allows your phone to do all kinds of new things! It’s been awhile, so here’s a feature refresher!
- Chrome2Phone – Google’s clever “cloud” system for sending websites and Google Maps data from your computer to your phone with just the push of a button. Simple to install, and SO useful.
- FLASH! Don’t buy into the Jobsian hate mongering, Adobe’s implementation of Flash for Android is likely more stable than it is on your computer. Currently works with the standard Android Browser and Dolphin2. While you are on the Market, be sure to grab the Adobe Showcase, for awesome examples of Mobile Flash ready sites and videos.
- Tethering – Verizon made some last-minute changes for your Droid Users, limiting your tethering abilities and charging you some extra money, but the rest of the 2.2 community now has native Wireless and/or Wired tethering. Enjoy the simple pleasure of having internet wherever you are, and Kudos to you 4G guys, getting to enjoy the boost of speed you get there!
- Improved Market Experience – the Update all button in the Market, and the update automatically option when you install apps are two of my favorite new features. Check them out!
- Lots of new widgets, battery and performance increases – 2.2 bring some critical optimizations to the guts of Android, allowing for longer battery life and a faster user experience. Enjoy!
Froyo will continue to spread to other phones over the next few months, so keep your eyes peeled to make sure you can get your update as soon as it’s available. The rest of you, happy tinkering, and enjoy your new experience!